- Our student placement program provides an opportunity for psychology and social work students to develop their knowledge and skills.
- Our practices are evidence based and informed by current research on trauma and complex trauma.
- A placement at Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia means having access to an award-winning workplace well-being program designed to manage the effects of vicarious trauma.
What we do
Our work centres around our key principles
- Sexual, domestic and family violence are gendered crimes caused by gender inequality.
- The responsibility for the offence always lies with the perpetrator.
- Sexual, domestic and family violence are human rights abuses.
- The psychological injury resulting from sexual, family and domestic violence is based in trauma.
- Client self-determination and empowerment is critical to trauma recovery.
What you will do during your placement
As a student on placement at R&DVSA you will undertake a range of learning opportunities, which may include:
- Undertaking telephone and online counselling;
- Undertaking psychometric assessments and intake assessments;
- Undertaking risk assessment as part of standard client contact protocols, including child protection and risk of harm assessments;
- Formulating and implementing therapeutic plans;
- Working with clients from a range of age groups, cultural backgrounds and socio-economic situations;
- Participating in clinical review meetings, staff meetings and regular professional development workshops and training events;
- Developing skills in writing case notes and report writing.
If this learning opportunity sounds interesting to you, you'll need to have the following skills and qualifications
- Minimum three years (full time equivalent) counselling experience. This may include face-to-face, and/or telephone, and/or online counselling
- A degree in psychology/social work or undergraduate bachelor’s degree plus undertaking a Masters’ in Social Work (Qualifying)
Points we’d like you to consider prior to submitting your application
- Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia holds an exemption under the Anti-Discrimination Act and only employs female trauma specialist counsellors
- Our counsellors sometimes provide callers with information on abortion or how to access the morning after pill. You may like to consider whether you hold any personal values that may impact on your ability to complete the work placement.
How to apply
There are currently no student placements available at this time.