time we ask a question, we’re generating a possible version of a life.”
Co-Director, Family Therapy Centre, Auckland
The version of life that this workshop
explores is one of reclaiming dignity through empowerment and reconnection. In this process,
practitioners align with clients to help make visible what is invisible; with
visibility comes awareness and with awareness comes the possibility of change.
By examining individual, relational and
cultural contexts, we bring forth a version of life that helps “make sense” of
the experiences that we refer to as Complex Trauma.
This program reflects upon alternative frameworks from which to understand complex trauma. We discuss practical approaches to equip practitioners with skills to respond to the many manifestations of complex trauma; including
negative perceptions of self, dissociation, depression, shame, self-harm and somatic issues.
This two-day workshop is designed and developed for Counsellors working alongside clients with complex trauma. Join us as we make visible the invisible.
Through this workshop, participants will:
- Develop an understanding of what is Complex Trauma including the many presenting manifestations.
- Reflect on the Power Threat Meaning Framework (Johnston & Boyle).
- Examine what
makes Complex Trauma complex - what has happened to the individual. We examine:
- Insidious trauma
- Disrupted attachment
- Experience of violence and abuse
- Dynamics of sexual assault
- Neurobiology of traumatic experience
- Discuss the impacts/effects of abuse as the individual's "response" to violence in conjunction with an exploration of the notion of "resistance".
- Explore helpful perspectives from Narrative Therapy in addressing the individual's experience of complex trauma.
- Explore narrative and meaning but from the unspoken voice of the body - the somatic narrative.
Thank you for your enthusiasm and vivacious nature. Your knowledge and passion for this subject is most evidence and it's that which helps and makes us want to learn more.
I really loved this course. I loved the wealth of knowledge and experience Chris brought to the class. Amazing.
The experience and knowledge of the trainer was amazing... Covered a lot of content and didn't feel overwhelmed.
Contact us about this workshop